Saturday, June 2, 2007

So Long, Blue Eyes













One of my favorite actors, Paul Newman, has announced his retirement from films at the age of 82. He cited eroding skills due to aging. Oh, well. What a fine career to look back on.

Iconic films like "The Hustler", "Hud", "Cool Hand Luke", "Absence Of Malice", and one from my top ten favorites of all time--"Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid".


I actually met him once, on the street in New Orleans when I was walking to work---he too was at work, waiting to be called to the set of "Blaze", a forgotten film in which he played Earl Long, Huey Long's loony brother who courted a stripper. We passed a few pleasantries, and shook hands. He seemed like a genuinely nice man. So he probably is.

He didn't live in Hollywood, he didn't bed-hop. When asked why he wasn't big on committing adultery, Newman's response was "Why go out for hamburger when you have steak at home?" Next year he and Joanne Woodward celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. And it seemed that the older he got, the better looking he got. His philanthropy and charity is well known. Somebody Up There Likes Him.

I do too. Enjoy your retirement, Blue Eyes. I'll see you every time I dress my salad...

No comments: