Monday, April 16, 2007

A Win, 3 Rainouts, and another Win...



That makes for an undefeated road trip so far. Bwah. The layoff didn't seem to hurt, as the offense stayed alive. Durham and Benji Molina got their first homeruns of the season tonight, and Zito got his first win as a Giant. He went six innings, and didn't surrender any runs and gave up only three hits. Color me whiney, but I'd like to see the #1 Starter go more than 6.

In honor of the victory, I've posted one of my first Giant heroes as a kid. One of those inexplicable things a kid does when he's just starting to learn baseball. I picked the guy on the strength of how much he looked like he might be a good ballplayer in the picture on his baseball card. The guy was Ron Herbel, and he never did do much more than long relief in his career, but he was a back-end of the rotation starter on the first Giants team I followed religiously. (1965) He did set a big-league record, but I'm not sure if he still holds it. He is (or was) the worst hitting pitcher of all time (minimum 100 AB) Ronnie went 6 for 206 over his career. Final batting average? .029 He had a major league jawline though.

Lots of baseball left, like the whole season. And as my girl Britney Spears says, "They's people ahead of us.... But I like the 8-0 win at Coors. I do.

No comments: